Over the past few decades, OPTIFAST® has been proven to work on people wanting to lose weight. As well, the program is uniquely formulated and individualized to each patient, regardless of sex, and a one-on-one consultation with the doctor is arranged. Taking part in such a specialized program makes it hard to fail, and makes weight loss that much more achievable.
Frequently Asked Questions
The average weight loss is 2 to 4 pounds per week. This is achieved within a safe, customized program that considers existing health problems, mobility issues and schedules. Weekly visits ensure no health risks are present during this process.
Overall, the program has certain, definite steps but the timeframes for each vary according to each patient’s progress. Any program can easily be adapted. Flexibility represents the true individuality of OPTIFAST®.
From its inception, the OPTIFAST® weight loss program was designed with the patient’s health, safety and security in mind. Significant weight loss, like any procedure, has risk factors associated with it. These are minimized by a professional medical approach stressing Dr. Goldfarb’s personal coaching and guidance.
The OPTIFAST® liquid nutritional replacement meets the minimum daily dietary requirement as determined by Health Canada. It is comprised of all essential vitamins, dairy proteins, calcium, minerals and other ingredients necessary to sustain a person throughout their program.
OPTIFAST® is suitable for those with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of greater than or equal to 30. It may also be appropriate for individuals with a body mass index of 27 – 29.9 who have other medical problems caused by their weight. To find out if you’re a candidate, use the Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator.
There are three phases:
1) Active Weight Loss·
* During the initial personal consultation with Dr. Goldfarb at his Toronto office, the weight loss goal is mutually agreed upon
* The patient’s regular diet is substituted with the OPTIFAST® nutritional replacement formula
* Bearing in mind the person’s medical condition, a customized exercise program begins. Walking is usually the activity chosen.
Time line: From 6 weeks to 6 months depending on the individual’s situation.
2) Transition Period
* Gradual phasing in of self-prepared foods emphasizing fruits, vegetables, grains and low-fat proteins accompanied by guidelines governing selection and preparation
* Analysis of food labeling, instruction on types of fats and foods, shopping tips, etc.
* Exercise program broadened to include such activities as swimming, cycling, weight training, etc.
* Personal consultations remain constant
* Beliefs, thinking patterns, attitudes, habits and value systems are evaluated and re-designed as a means of supporting the OPTIFAST® weight loss program and other personal goals.
Time line: 4-6 weeks
3) Maintenance Period
* Patients meet with Dr. Goldfarb at his Toronto office on an ongoing basis to ensure that lifestyle re-orientation process is being followed. Adjustments to their customized OPTIFAST® weight loss program are made where necessary
* Dr. Goldfarb, the Toronto weight loss coach, invites program participants to continue seeing him for months, if not years, to ensure they stay healthy.
* Time line: Variable depending on patient’s commitment level and unique situation.
Initially, a nutritional replacement formula, created specifically for the OPTIFAST® weight loss program is consumed 4x (four times) daily for a specified period.
During the ensuing Transition and Lifestyle Re-orientation stage, lots of fruit, vegetables and low calorie protein-based foods are gradually introduced along with lessons on selection and preparation. Finally, during the concluding Maintenance phase, the patient has enough knowledge, recipes and practice to continue with their updated lifestyle on their own.
That depends on the individual, the mutually agreed upon target weight and the patient’s degree of commitment and self-discipline. Generally speaking, the OPTIFAST® weight loss program takes about 6-8 months to complete.
One-to-one meetings with Dr. Goldfarb, the Toronto weight loss coach, are conducted throughout the week at his Toronto office. Complete the online submission form to make inquiries.
The initial personal assessment and all subsequent consultations are covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).
The other components of the program – nutritional replacement, counseling, fitness instruction and lifestyle re-educational process – equates, in total, to about $4.50 per meal (for the 4 meal-a-day plan). Once a patient finishes the meal replacement phase (the first one), their out-of-pocket expenses end.
Each program is tailored to the individual’s situation and its length is variable.
No, the OPTIFAST® weight loss program is a standardized program which Dr. Goldfarb administers as part of his medical practice.